ROWLEY STYLE!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This Week's Challenge

This week we are seeing who can have the most fruit and vegetable servings. So just so we're all on the same page, 1 serving = 1/2 cup or a "fist sized" portion.
Christine here, I need a bit of clarification. Juice doesn't count, right? And what did we decided about canned fruit?
Let's start a list, shall we?
1 serving=
1 banana
4 large strawberries
1 apple
1 orange
1/2 cup blueberries
10 baby carrots
1 stalk celery
2 kiwis
2 plums
1 tomato (2 roma, 6 cherry)
1 c. lettuce (firmly packed)
1/2 c. spinach
15 grapes
1/3 c. craisins **corrected** it this says on the bag
1/2 cucumber
feel free to add on . . . .
1/2 cup salsa
The Judge is here. It has been decided that the juices V8 and Naked will NOT be counted. Canned fruit only in fruit juice, not syrup.
(corrected)

7 comments:

Meredith said...

I don't think juice should count (unless it's like V8 or that Naked stuff) and I think canned fruit can count, if you drain the liquid off.

Thoughts?

Jana said...

Yeah, I agree no juice, and canned is ok without the liquid. But actually I'm not even a fan of saying any juice is ok unless it's true v8. But the V8 splash is full of sugar. I think if it has more than like 10 grams of sugar in a serving it doesn't count. But the serving size is going to be a little tricky. For example, a cup of whole strawberries would end up being 1/2 to 3/4 cup sliced, and if you squished them they'd be like 1/4 cup! And what about a big banana...is that one or two servings?

MoM K said...

I guess you can eat the strawberries either way. It's still a serving size. Fist or palm size or 1/2 cup. How about salad? How much lettuce is a serving??? A medium banana is a serving. V8 should count. most other juices no, beause they are so much sugar. Banana bread doesn't count... We should strive for at least 5 servings per day.

Meredith said...

V8 should definitely count, and I wasn't even thinking about the V8 Splash (which definitely does not count).

Juice like Naked should count, I think. Yes, it has sugar, but fruit has sugar! You can't get around that! That stuff is pure fruit mashed into a bottle. I got this stuff from Costco once, it wasn't Naked, but similar, and in the entire bottle, it had 5 servings of fruit & veggies for the day. I still think that should count. I mean if I'm drinking wheat grass and green algae, it better count! :)

A small or medium banana is one serving, a large one is two. Think about the cutting up thing.

The strawberry thing, I think you should slice them, because if you measured a whole cup, you've got a lot of "space" in there where it's not berries.

Christine said...

no no no no, we can NOT drink juice! Juice doesn't have the bulk and fiber of real fruit and veggies, therefore it's way easier to drink way more of it! It's a completely different substance than real produce.
NO V8, NO JUICE! PERIOD!
That's my vote anyway . . . from now on can we PLEASE decide these things BEFORE the contests start?

As for canned, I think we should be able to have it if it's canned in fruit juice, not in syrup.

ps even if you disagree with me on the juice thing, naked juice can't be included because we can't get it here.

Meredith said...

Clearly you haven't had any juice like Naked, Christine, because it DOES have the bulk and fiber of fruit/veggies. It totally fills you up. I drink it as a meal sometimes.

Anyway, obviously I still think that type of juice should count. BUT I don't want to debate anymore, so I don't care if it's not included. Period. I'll get my stuff in, you just watch.

I agree we should have discussed these things ahead of time.

Christine said...

I was going to say that the only Naked juices that should count are red machine, blue machine, and well being, because they are the only ones that have as much fiber as fruit does.
BUT I also happened to notice that they have WAY more sugar! A cup of Blue machine has 29 grams of sugar, and a cup of blueberries only has 12.

I'm just saying.